Travel Writers Share Lost Luggage Tips

Get Social
"Nancy D. Brown"

Travel writer Nancy D. Brown share tips for how to find lost luggage

With a heavy heart, I waited for the baggage claim carousel at O’Hare Airport to circle one last time. Surely my duffel bag would magically appear momentarily. Afterall, this was a non-stop United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Chicago. I had checked my luggage in two hours early. How could this be happening to me, and at 1:30 in the morning?

Sadly, I admitted defeat and went over to the steel machine where I was to punch in my luggage identification number and wait for it to spit out the delayed baggage report receipt. Dejectedly clutching my laptop computer, I shuffled off to find the airport shuttle to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. The nice folks at the front desk hooked me up with some toiletries and I went to bed confident that my luggage would be delivered before noon checkout.

As is the case of a lodging editor, I was moving on to review another hotel property the next day. Still no bag. After calling United Airlines 800 number, I was directed to their on-line site (which was down) to check the status of my luggage. I checked into the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place and was greeted with a friendly and sympathetic staff. A well-stocked toiletry bag was provided to me, but, alas, no Briggs and Riley duffel bag.

Eventually, I was reunited with my bag, but not before having to purchase a pair of dress pants and no-iron shirt for my BlogHer Travel Panel speaking engagement. I also need to send a shout out to Mary Kay Cosmetics and Public Relations Account Supervisor Jill Kleiner of Coyne. Her agency overnight Federal Expressed their entire make up line to me while I was staying at the Sheraton Hotel. And yes, Cat Lincoln of CleverGirls Collective saved the day when she slipped me some vital Yummie Tummie shapewear undergarments.

Rather than rant and rave, I’d like to offer some lost luggage travel tips from professional travel writers if an airline loses your luggage.

Travel Writers Share Lost Luggage Tips

Jennifer Leo: Los Angeles Times Travel Blog and Editor of Sand in My Bra series

Wendy Perrin: Conde Nast Traveler’s Consumer News Editor and Perrin Post blogger

Sean Keener: Co-Founder of the BootsnAll Travel Network

Rosalind Cummings-Yeates: Freelance journalist and travel blogger

Kim Mance: Editor of Go Galavanting.com

Donna Hull: Freelance Writer and blogger at My Itchy Travel Feet

Lanora Mueller: Writing Travel blogger

Shannon Hurst Lane: Freelance travel writer

Related Post:

How to pack for Alaska winter vacation

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Travel Writers Share Lost Luggage Tips”

1. Travel says:

I got satisfied by your vedieo that’s more informative travel tips.Thanks .You can find me at http://www.TheAirGorillaBlog.com

2. Mike2977 says:

I use Global Bag Tag (http://www.globalbagtag.com) which provides 2 registered tags per kit and a web site to register them on along with your travel itinerary. The tags are engraved metal with a strong wire connector. If you lose your luggage, you can report it lost by phone or web, and a finder can do the same to match them up with you again. Worth the fees to get a little extra peace of mind.

3. Dr Death says:

As a very frequent traveler, I always feel that twang of anxiety when it’s time to go get my bags. From your article, I noticed the thing you did wrong that most lead to losing your luggage… you flew US Air. They are the dredge of the airline industry, and that’s quite an accomplishment. It’s like being the the shortest guy in midget wrestling. Good post, good video. Thanks for the tips!

4. Sean O'Neill says:

nice video! Love the tips about packing a nice bra and photographing what your bag looks like.

5. A. L. Venable says:

Nancy, I must say, you looked fab at the conference! So kudos to all those who came to your assistance until your bag showed up. That means more than any one-minute sales pitch they could have delivered. Next time you’re in Portland, we’ll have to meet up!

6. Spencer Spellman says:

Oh the dreaded lost baggage vice. Been there…done that…didn’t get my t-shirt back. My worst was when flying back from France. It was a week before I got my luggage.

7. Katie Wilson says:

Great post – but I was looking forward to reading the tips on what to do if your luggage is lost! I am deaf and without subtitles, the video is not much use for me. Will there be a transcript appearing?Katie

8. Nancy D. Brown says:

@Katie Thanks for reading my Lost Luggage Tips post. You raise a good point in the video not including subtitles. Unfortunately, I am the solo contributor to this blog so I will not have time to go back and transcribe the interviews. I’m new to video, so I will try to learn how to include subtitles next time. Thank you for your comment.

9. IsabellesTravel says:

Hi, I stumbled across this post. And I’m glad I did. Thanks for the tips! I agree most on the CARRY-ON. I’ve had my luggage lost once when I arrived at my destination. Not having clothes in my carry-on. So, now I always pack the most important things like toiletries, an extra outfit, pjyama’s, bikini in there. Trust me, helps a lot :)

10. Top Grade Acai says:

Thanks for the tips! I agree most on the CARRY-ON. I’ve had my luggage lost once when I arrived at my destination.Thanks Top Grade Acai

11. Nice Video and great tips. thanks for sharing

12. @John
    I’m glad you found the Lost Luggage Tips and video helpful. I hope you never experience this problem, but if you do, you’ll know how to handle the situation.